Irving Penn Exhibit Review



Irving Penn Exhibit Review

I have chosen Irving Penn Centennial Exhibit at The Metropolitan Museum. I picked Irving Penn Centennial Exhibit because I love photography and I wanted to learn about a photographer I never heard of. I went on Saturday, the 6th to the Museum with a couple of other friends who also love photography. From the moment we walked into the exhibit entrance I was greatly astonished. The first thing that was displayed was Irving Penn’s Rolle flex 3.5 E3 Twin-lens Reflex Camera! I love what he has done to it by modifying the top with a chimney viewfinder. It’s a smart idea, to get a better view without the hassle of light miss directing your eyes.

On to the next room was his Theatre Accident, New York, 1974 Print was the first photo that caught my eye. It was a color photo displaying a women’s point of view of her bag that has fallen on the floor. I like the picture the most in that section of the exhibit because it has that nice 60s style to it. The shoes and purse was 60s; it showed the women’s personality through the objects she would carry through her bag. Although you can’t see the person herself you get a sense of personality. I feel like we are supposed to look at people based on their personality not their looks. That is that sense of vibe I was getting from the photo and that’s why I feel a sense attraction to it.

Another favorite photographs of mine, was the series of occupations he has done in Paris, London, and New York in the early 1950s. It was amazing to see the jobs people did back then that we don’t have any more now. What was interesting was also comparing and contrasting the clothing differences and tools used in certain occupations. He gave a sense of documentation photography that inspire me so maybe replicate in my documentary photography class I would take in a few semesters from now. Alongside with this portion of the exhibit had his original backdrop displayed. It was interesting that he didn’t used a paper backdrop that we would use today. Irving used a type of animal skin that was durable and reliable as he takes photographs at 3 different countries.

Lastly another enjoyment found from Irving’s Exhibit, was looking through his fashion vogue project he has worked on. I loved how he taken picture of famous artists like Salvador Dali, directors like Alfred Hiscock, and actresses like Audrey Hepburn. Normally photographers uses a lot of space with a backdrop to take portrait photography of their models. However, Irving play with their sense of personal space. His backdrop was a triangular back drop and would sit the model to one of the points of the triangle. It was an interesting concept.

All in all, I loved the whole Irving Penn exhibit. It was fun learning about a new photographer and experiencing their work. I would and I have recommended to go the Irving Penn exhibit for others to enjoy; especially my photography crew. Even if someone is not into photography, it was an amazing exhibit to enjoy with family or friends in general. I would like to come back to the Metropolitan Museum exhibits again. Also would love to learn more about Irving Penn himself. It would be amazing to actually meet him if he have had not died.  The museum was a real treat from all the stress from the semester coming to an end. As for the Irving Penn he was inspirational for me to keep striving amongst my art and photography.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Removal of Richard Serra’s Tilted Arc

Who is Saul Bass ?

Women in advertising…. How Women’s sexuality is used to sell a product.